Monday, November 1, 2010

Sanity Heroes I: Civility Tour

As Exhibit A in "Ways that we can improve the system and maybe be a little bit better," I offer you this story from Connecticut:
The race between Maynard and Norman may be unlike any other in the state. Rather than spend their time railing against each other, the two have decided to campaign together, embarking on what they're calling a "civility tour."

"After one of the first events of the campaign, Andy and I got talking in the hallway, and I talked about how a campaign of civility and respect would be good," said Norman, who lives in Griswold. "I said, 'Andy, you might have better name recognition than me and if the press catches on, it could help me more than you,' " he said, noting that the unlikely partnership could boost his lesser-known campaign.

"And [Maynard] said, 'I still want to do it,' " Norman said. "I wouldn't go as far as saying Andy and I have become good friends, but we respect each other."

In the past few months, leading up to Tuesday's election, the two candidates have held events at which they discussd the issues facing the state, especially how to deal with the $3.4 billion budget deficit projected for next year. Both agree that the state needs to cut spending but acknowledge that tax increases may be necessary to solve Connecticut's fiscal woes.