Monday, November 29, 2010

It's Okay, Freeze My Pay

I was not hugely happy to hear about the federal pay freeze this week, because I'm not convinced that it would have much of an impact, nor do I think that it's particularly just. After all, the people who made the poor decisions are voters, and the people who are losing out are federal employees.

That being said, my father did talk with me about how, during World War Two, people were willing to make all sorts of sacrifice, and if the sacrifices were spread around, people would be more than happy to pitch in. So I guess I am really happy to see this: a Facebook Group called It's Okay, Freeze My Pay. Their pitch is pitch-perfect:
I don't work for government for the money. I do it to make a difference. Will freezing my pay hurt my family a bit? It sure will...but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for my country. It's a sacrifice I've always made.
Good. If we can't get those who should make sacrifices to make them, let's start by having those who are willing. Hopefully shame is contagious.