Thursday, February 24, 2011

Solution: Part Time Stable Jobs With Benefits!

At 2AMt, Gwydion thinks that artists could be supported by part-time jobs, if those part-time jobs offered benefits. Many of my friends cobble together low rents by doing part-time or freelance work, but those jobs don't offer benefits, so the first time you get seriously ill, you lose out. A lot.

Believe it or not, there’s no actual rule that says a stable career must demand 40 hours a week. In fact, the idea that every single job in the world must be in performed in the same amount of time is ridiculous, isn’t it? If employers were thinking flexibly and creatively, you’d have to assume that more of them would realize this. Few of them, however, do.

So convince them! I didn’t just walk into an office and expect the deal I have. I developed a skill set over many years, alongside my work as a playwright; held a few traditional full-time jobs for a while, building up my resume; and eventually came to merit (if I may be so bold) the opportunity I now have. I don’t take it for granted, either; I work my tail off, and I continue to do whatever I can to earn the arrangement. I don’t walk around wishing I could be writing full-time; I’m not waiting for five o’clock so I can punch out and head home. As I’ve said, I like what I do.
To add to this idea: this is actually how Olympic Athletes used to be supported. You see, Home Depot used to pay Olympic Athletes full-time rates (and benefits) for half-time work, and would allow them to leave for competitions and return with their jobs safe and intact. Unfortunately, it was discontinued once this economic mess started, for obvious reasons.