How I was keeping my mind clean this week:
- White House Webpage v. 1.0. Aw, isn't it cute!
- John Adams lays the smack down on Thomas Paine on the subject of Thomas Paine's book title, The Age of Reason. By extension, that means he's smacking down Al Gore.
- We've had a Supreme Court Justice named Felix Frankfurter, and nearly had one named Learned Hand.
- Things that are disrespectful to Ground Zero: hot chicks smiling at ground zero.
- Free beer, except it's free as in speech, not as in beer.
How I was keeping my mind fit this week:
- Sex is stressful, but good for you. (That's why I live a stress-free existence.) What stress is good and what isn't?
- Amazing chart on the history of Global GDP, and how India used to lead the world's GDP. The economist who I linked to failed to note British imperialism's effect on India's GDP.
- Umpires blow .2 - .3 calls a game, as opposed to 2.3 per contest in the NFL or an estimated 15-20 a game in the NBA. My question: how does futbol compare?
- Okay, so apparently the big economic news over the weekend was that China is now the world's second biggest economy. But that wasn't news to me. What was news to me was that Japan was the previous 2nd largest GDP.
- Don't try to dissuade me with "facts": scientists have discovered Koopas.
- Cell phones now exist for the deaf.
Things to watch in the future:
- Defense Secretary Gates is going to retire sometime in 2011. It's a little odd, considering as he just kicked off a battle to cut $100 billion in Defense spending, and has been pushing back on Petraeus in terms of Afghanistan withdrawal. It doesn't seem like either fight is pushing him out, but it seems as though he won't be around to win those two battles. Furthermore, Obama will lose the cover of a respected H.W. Bush recommended G. W. Bush appointee as he moves forward in the two wars.
- The coming Helium price bubble. That's right -- no more free ride!