Thursday, June 2, 2011

How We Make The Case: Additions

A while back, I rounded up tactics for making the case for the arts in the face of cuts and criticism. A couple blogs have put forward other strategies, which I would add under the heading:

REASONS WHY CUTTING THE ARTS WON'T HELP

IT'S TOO SMALL A PART OF THE BUDGET
Cutting the arts doesn't mean much from the perspective of the budget, because we're such a tiny slice of the arts. In fact, as Ian Moss just put it, we're trace ingredients in the sausage factory of spending. Although people apparently don't think so, we're tiny -- it becomes apparent when you look at, say, the taxpayer's receipt. (I did explore this previously).

IT'S OFTEN COUNTERPRODUCTIVE
For instance, cutting arts funding in Kansas cost the state $1.2 million.


UPDATE: Whoops! I forgot that Createquity is now a team effort -- it was actually Aaron Andersen who coined the bon mot I quoted above. I guess now would be a good time to mention that the new writers at Createquity are doing a really great job?