Thursday, May 6, 2010

Ethics

A golfer deliberately double-bogeys so that another golfer can come to the national tournament:
"I've known Seth for the past couple of years," Whybark said Thursday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "He's earned my respect on the golf course and off of it.

"I talked with my team about it. The whole goal of the conference tournament is to advance to nationals. As soon as I had done that, not a whole lot else made a difference to me. And the kid has earned his spot, as everyone else did in the tournament. That's my position on it."

Whybark emphasized that no other golfer missed a chance to advance to the national tournament because of his action.

"It came down to whoever won the playoff hole," Whybark said. "If I won, Seth didn't get to go. If he won, he got to go. That's where we were at.

"It was Seth or nobody."
I walked away with a sense of respect for Whybark. But I see the other side of the argument too.