Monday, December 21, 2009

Legitimacy VIII: The Mythology Of Reputation

I went and saw a friend's performance at Lee Strasberg's professional institute, and I noticed something really striking: there appeared to be only one American enrolled. There were Germans, Australians, Swedes, French, Italians--but no Americans. The performances were a rather impressive melange of international accents. It was a little bit of a pity that the archetypal "American" school of acting is really no longer about Americans.

This, by the way, is on the heels of NYU (where I attend) severing its ties to Strasberg, believing that its reputation is no longer enough to justify their poor relationship.

It hadn't occured to me that reputation rots from the inside out. The last people to hear of your fame will be the last ones to hear of your fall. Your original fans are the first ones to jump off your bandwagon--which I suppose is why Stella Adler and Sanford Meisner were the first to get disenchanted.

(Update: making sure that my part number is correct)